Engineering opportunities are available at our power generating plants, distribution and transmission units, corporate offices and our gas distribution subsidiaries. Engineers are involved in planning, researching, designing, developing, constructing, installing and operating equipment and systems for the delivery of clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Southern Company Reactor Engineer- Plant Hatch in Baxley, Georgia
Reactor Engineer- Plant Hatch
It's an exciting time to be part of our growing organization. Southern Nuclear, headquartered in Birmingham, AL, operates Southern Company's six nuclear reactors at three locations in Georgia and Alabama: two reactors at Plant Vogtle, near Waynesboro, GA; two reactors at Plant Hatch, near Baxley, GA; and two reactors at Plant Farley, near Dothan, AL. In addition, construction of two new reactors is underway at our Plant Vogtle location. If a new and significant challenge is what you have been longing for, and if you are energized, positive, committed, and desiring to make a difference, then we are looking for YOU to join our team!
Summary of Job Duties
We have an opening for a Reactor Engineer/Nuclear Fuels Physicist at Plant Hatch in Baxley, GA. (The position title will be determined based on selected candidate's educational qualifications.) This position is at a BWR-4 Light Water Reactor.
Reactor Engineers provide technical direction regarding the safe, efficient and reliable operation of reactor cores and nuclear fuel. Reactor Engineers deal daily with issues concerning nuclear fuel and reactor operation. They are responsible for optimal core performance, core physics tests, fuel performance, and special nuclear material accountability.
Typical duties include
• Monitor and trend important parameters for core performance and reactivity control.
• Administer program for nuclear fuel management and control to ensure safe core loading, alterations, and power operation.
• Provide direction and on-site support for core alterations, plant startups, and major power changes.
• Develop computer models of steady state and transient core conditions.
• Implement plans for response to fuel failures.
• Maintain fuel operating history.
• Administer the Special Nuclear Materials Programs.
• Perform new fuel receipt inspections.
• Perform core physics surveillance testing.
• Assess core damage during simulated and actual emergencies.
• Participate in an on-call rotation to provide reactor engineering support for emergent plant problems affecting reactor operation.
• Provide engineering support to resolve problems in and improve the long-term reliability of the fuel handling, dry fuel storage, and nuclear instrumentation systems.
Engineers/Physicists at Southern Nuclear may have opportunities to manage special projects. Also, engineers/physicists typically take key refueling outage assignments. Future developmental assignments in operations, training, or quality assurance often prepare engineers/physicists for supervisory and management positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Physics from an ABET accredited institution
Five or more years of BWR Reactor Engineering or Operations experience desired.
A background in reactor engineering with working knowledge of Panacea and 3-D Monicore software and other applicable codes, standards, and regulatory requirements related to the nuclear power industry desired.
An ability to solve complex problems and make sound, timely engineering decisions, based upon experience, appropriate industry practices, and sound engineering principles that might impact plant safety and reliability.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Accepts ownership of assigned programs, projects, and tasks.
• Develops strategy for optimum use of resources.
• Manages financial performance to control costs.
• Works through conflicts to create win/win situations.
• Holds self and others accountable for results.
• Values diversity and respects the dignity of every individual.
• Assumes personal responsibility for individual and company successes.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Central Georgia-Baxley
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Hatch - 11028 Hatch Parkway, North (11028BAXLEY)
11028 Hatch Parkway, North
Req ID: SNC2006501