Southern Company Fleet Programs Engineer - Components (Corporate-Birmingham, AL) in Birmingham, Alabama
Fleet Programs Engineer - Components (Corporate-Birmingham, AL)
Fleet Programs Engineer - Components
This position is for an experienced engineer that will provide governance and oversight for SNC Fleet Programs.
Fleet Program Engineers provide oversight and direct implementation of assigned programs within the SNC Fleet.
Major programs include: Motor Operated Valves, Air Operated Valves, Snubbers, Heat Exchangers, Check Valves, Relief Valves, and Environmental Qualification.
Fleet Program Engineers will be responsible for maintaining equipment reliability, ensuring regulatory compliance, knowledge and application of industry best practices, and the oversight of inspections of plant equipment. Engineering assignments typically include refueling outage support and emergency plan response requirements.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited program or PE License required
• Mechanical or Civil Engineering discipline preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• A background in engineering with working knowledge of applicable discipline codes and standards.
• An ability to solve problems and make sound engineering decisions based on experience and appropriate industry practices.
• Previous experience in systems engineering, programs engineering, or component engineering preferred.
• Previous experience in Nuclear Operations is a plus.
• Experience and working knowledge of ASME Codes is a plus.
• Working knowledge in Nuclear Plant Systems, structures and components preferred.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Proven organizational skills with ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
• Capable of working efficiently and effectively across organizations.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft office products, specifically WORD, EXCEL and POWERPOINT.
• Experience in valve construction, operation, and diagnostic testing is a plus.
• Places highest priority on nuclear and industrial safety.
• Accepts ownership of assigned programs, projects and tasks and drives for improvements.
• Develops strategy for optimum use of resources.
• Works well as part of a team.
• Uses rigor and formality when performing work to minimize errors.
• Manages financial performance to control costs.
• Works through conflicts to create win/win situations.
• Holds self and others accountable for results.
• Values diversity and respects the dignity of every individual.
• Assumes personal responsibility for individual and company successes.
• Nuclear power experience is preferred
• Four (4) or more years of experience in an engineering role is preferred
• The successful candidate must meet background screening and NRC Fitness for Duty requirements.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Please note: This position may require the successful completion of the SNC Initial Engineering Training as a condition of continued employment. The training is approximately 6 weeks long and is a rigorous period that may require studying after work hours.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-Metro Birmingham/Eastern AL-Birmingham
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
The Energy Center - 3535 Colonnade Parkway (3535Birmingham)
3535 Colonnade Parkway
Req ID: SNC2005693