Electrical/I&C Design Engineer - Plant Farley
We currently have an opportunity located at Plant Farley (Nuclear Power Plant in Columbia, AL) for an Electrical/I&C Engineer.
Electrical/I&C Engineer (Farley)
Plant Farley is part of the Southern Nuclear Operating Company’s Fleet. We are seeking an experienced electrical engineer. This position is responsible for providing technical leadership and guidance in the area of electrical components/systems. Responsibilities could also include preparation and coordination of design changes and calculations. The successful candidate should have experience with electrical components/systems, and an understanding of electrical component/systems’ performance and regulations used in the nuclear plant environment is a plus. Activities involve identifying industry best practices, developing/maintaining fleet procedures, setting a strategic vision, participation in industry working groups, modification of drawings and calculations, field walkdowns, construction support and troubleshooting.
• Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited college or university, or Professional Engineer license, is required. (Engineering Technology will not be accepted).
• Electrical Engineering preferred. Mechanical, Nuclear, Chemical, and Civil Engineering degrees will be considered based upon the candidate’s experience.
• A strong technical background in electrical engineering and working knowledge of applicable codes, standards, and regulatory requirements related to nuclear power generating facilities.
• Three (3) years of experience with electrical components and/or instrumentation & controls is preferred. Five (5) or more years of experience with electrical components/systems and/or instrumentation & controls is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to solve problems and make sound engineering judgments, based on experience and proper application of industry practices, in order to provide timely and appropriate resolutions to electrical component issues that might impact plant output, operation, or safety.
• Expertise to address operational, maintenance, and reliability issues for electrical components.
• Expertise to address operational, maintenance, and reliability issues for instrumentation & controls.
• Ability to develop long range plans and strategies for maintaining or replacing equipment to ensure reliable and economical operation and maintenance of the electrical components.
• Ability to communicate technical issues and drive problem resolution through various levels of management at the plant sites and corporate office.
• Ability to work effectively across diverse groups at the plant sites and corporate office to drive standard technical solutions to electrical system/component or I&C issues.
• Experience and knowledge to technically interface with vendors and service suppliers on procurement, repair plan development, troubleshooting, and resolving equipment performance problems.
• Ability to ensure SNC stays abreast of emerging issues and technological developments in electrical components, to work closely with site engineering, maintenance, operations, and work control personnel by providing expertise for assigned components and systems.
• The ability to assist in the development of specifications.
• Ability to initiate, coordinate and oversee multiple complex projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to adapt to changing demands and priorities.
• Ability to use good judgment and make sound engineering and business decisions.
• Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with counterparts at each nuclear plant site.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Ability to be a team player with emphasis on team contribution.
• Self-starter who performs tasks with little supervision or oversight.
• Maintain unescorted access to all SNC facilities.
• Demonstrate Our Values – Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance, and Total Commitment
• Honesty, respect, fairness and integrity drive behaviors
• Keeps promises and has ethical behavior as a standard
• Dedicated to superior performance and sets high expectations
• Priorities are safety first, teamwork and diversity and continuous improvement through example
• Committed to success of employees, customers and shareholders
• Self-directed with strong initiative
• Results oriented and customer focused
REMOTE WORK STATEMENT
Southern Nuclear strives to balance the requirements of producing clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy for our customers with the desire to provide our employees with the ability to perform their work remotely when possible.
Currently all roles require our employees to have the ability to report to and work on-site for some portion of the typical work week.
We recognize that many of our employees’ desire to work remotely in some capacity and we have created hybrid work arrangements that vary depending on the nature of the location and the work performed
We will be transparent in the recruiting process and provide clear information regarding the onsite requirements as well as any hybrid/remote work arrangements that are associated with the role/s you are applying to.
Remote/hybrid work arrangements are subject to change where it is deemed necessary for work to be performed on site in order to meet our customers energy needs
Please note: This position may require the successful completion of the SNC Initial Engineering Training as a condition of continued employment. The training is several weeks long and is a rigorous period that may require studying after work hours.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune’s annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-South Alabama-Columbia
Operating Company: Southern Nuclear Operating Co
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Plant Farley - 7388 North State Hwy 95 (7388COLUMBIA)
7388 North State Hwy 95
Req ID: SNC2007108