Southern Company SCADA - System Engineer or Senior Engineer in Riverdale, Georgia
SCADA - System Engineer or Senior Engineer
THIS POSITION IS BEING POSTED AS PART OF A JOB FAMILY.
The position may be filled at either the System Engineer (Grade 5) or Senior Engineer (Grade 6).
The purpose of the Engineer is to design, implement, support, and provide technical solutions for mission critical SCADA systems used by Gas Control to monitor and control the safe and reliable delivery of natural gas across all utilities. This position also provides senior-level technical expertise across multiple technologies. Conducts infrastructure analysis, establishes and performs monitoring of infrastructure capacity metrics, recommends and implements modifications to configurations that will reduce costs and improve service.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES BY COMPETENCY
• Research architecture standards based on industry best practices while adhering to corporate security policies and meeting business requirements.
• Subject matter expert in technologies in multi-platform enterprise information systems.
• Design and implement major SCADA systems related hardware/software implementations and upgrades to meet business objectives and service levels.
• Research recommend and coordinate acquisitions of technologies.
• Proactively monitor solutions to reduce the occurrence of outages and minimize the length of outages.
• Provide root cause analysis for incidents and troubleshoot complex technical issues across multiple technologies.
• Manage internal controls and policies to meet regulatory requirements.
• Develops and maintains standardized code for communications between field remote terminal units (RTUs) and SCADA hosts.
• Implement recommendations for complex infrastructure capacity planning.
• Provide senior level guidance to junior staff members.
• Understand business partners technical requirements.
• Participate in technology initiatives in support of business priorities.
• Proactively anticipates potential technical issues and suggests solutions before incidents occur.
• Research viable alternatives to meet the technical requirements of business solutions.
• Provide technical support for on-call personnel for specific area of expertise.
• Communicates team objectives of complex projects, tasks, and issues to business partners and vendors.
• Shares knowledge of internal/external practices and technical expertise with others.
• Values the ideas, knowledge, and expertise of others.
• Communicates status of action plans to management.
• Responsible for prioritizing work, evaluating results and taking corrective action as needed.
• Adjusts work schedule based on priorities to complete multiple assignments on time.
• Responsible for 24 X 7 on-call support.
• High school diploma or GED and two (2) years in SCADA Systems Administration.
• Project Management, SCADA Systems Administration, or network / security certification
• BA/BS degree in Engineering, Information Technology or equivalent discipline.
Related Work Experience:
• Two (2) years progressive experience in a SCADA technology role, providing senior level support and systems management within a large complex SCADA system environment
• Five (5) to eight (8) years progressive experience in a SCADA technology role, providing senior level support and systems management within a large complex SCADA system environment
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of SCADA technologies and industry best practices.
• Working knowledge of domain administration, network security and windows platform best practices.
• Must possess in-depth working knowledge of multiple complex SCADA field device protocols (BSAP, ROC, etc.).
• Technical proficiency in SCADA system and operating software and administration.
• Working knowledge of communications / systems networking.
• Presentation skills.
• Analytical skills.
• Influencing skills.
• Negotiating skills.
• Demonstrated ability to leverage business applications for competitive advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communicate with all levels in the organization.
• Ability to think strategically.
• MS Word - intermediate proficiency.
• MS Excel - intermediate proficiency.
• MS Project - intermediate proficiency.
• MS Visio - intermediate proficiency.
• MS PowerPoint - intermediate proficiency.
• Project Management, SCADA Systems Administration, or network / security certification.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Moderate Traveler (25%): The incumbent may at times be required to travel extensively. Trips may be international and require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• This position occasionally requires the incumbent to reach above shoulder-level.
• This position occasionally requires the incumbent to bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• This position occasionally requires the ability to lift 25-50 pounds.
• The incumbent typically works in an office environment however may at times be in the field testing and / or implementing new field applications or interfaces.
• The incumbent may work near or with moving mechanical parts.
• This position is responsible for providing 24 x 7 systems and operations support.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Riverdale
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
Riverdale LNG - 7790 Hwy 85 (7790RiverdaleCODE)
7790 Hwy 85
Req ID: GAS2001932