Southern Company Division Engineer in Virginia Beach, Virginia
The purpose of this position is to manage/train junior engineers and technicians designing capital improvement Projects on natural gas distribution and transmission facilities, as well as performing design duties on certain projects. These design activities include: Regulator station and transmission design, VDOT and public works relocations, pressure improvements, system renewal projects, meter set designs, and various operational and Engineering support functions as necessary. Candidate will be desired to obtain their VA Professional Engineer license and may require candidate to stamp certain engineering designs. This is a shared service provider role attentive upon coordinating engineering, new business and construction activities for optimal design, follow through and reporting as well as providing engineering support for assigned service center areas. The role will have as direct reports: junior engineers and/or design techs and engineering techs.
• Trains and mentors less senior engineers and technicians. Provides technical direction to team members.
• Oversee and approve designs, by performing systematic reviews of work and answering questions on difficult issues.
• Works with Engineering Manager to prepare project prioritization lists used in the annual capital budgeting process.
• Directs less senior engineers and technicians in preparing designs, proposals, graphs, planning layouts and summaries designed to communicate project plans, progress or results.
• Serves as project manager; assists in choosing project goals on the development of a comprehensive project design, outlines project requirements, assigns tasks, coordinates project activities with other operating units to facilitate participation of appropriate staff on project, supervises progress to ensure targets are met.
• Develops design options or recommendations to improve system optimization. Assesses feasibility of engineering solutions.
• Reviews engineering designs to provide for the most cost-effective long-term solution for project.
• Apply knowledge of pipeline design, meters, regulators and relief valves and procedures for sizing.
• Proficient at applying codes and standards as they apply to natural gas engineering. Codes include DOT 192, and Operations Procedure Manual. Engagement:
• Collaborates with construction administration, operations managers and technical services to produce effective designs.
• Manages staff performance and development for IPO’s and Results Factors.
• Anticipates and identifies issues that put projects at risk. Implements corrective action.
• Identifies and resolves obstacles/issues that put project at risk; Provides technical guidance for less senior staff.
• Tracks projects from concept through construction. Responsible for accounting for budget variances and reporting monthly metrics to Engineering Manager.
Education, Experience, Certifications/Licenses:
• BS in recognized engineering specialty, ABET accredited institution • 5 years of engineering or operations experience
• Engineering background with knowledge of gas engineering ethics and philosophies, operation of gas distribution systems, and financial and statistical analysis
• Knowledge of DOT pipeline safety regulations Or •Equivalent academic education and experience
EIT Certificate is required
PE Certificate is Strongly Preferred
Certified Project Manager Preferred
Specific Skills & Knowledge :
Good technical and computer skills.
• Acting with a sense of urgency
• Excellent leadership skills
• Ability to communicate with all levels in the organization
• CAD/GIS - basic proficiency
• MS Office - basic proficiency Preferred: • MS Project or Primavera • SynerGEE experience • AutoCAD or MicroStation experience
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements :
• The incumbent normally works in an office environment
• The incumbent may/will work near or with moving mechanical parts.
• The incumbent may/will be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, or chemicals.
• The incumbent may/will be exposed to varying outdoor weather conditions.
• The incumbent may/will be exposed to excessive noise.
• The incumbent may/will be exposed to construction related activities
• This position occasionally requires prolonged standing or walking.
• This position occasionally requires the incumbent to reach above shoulder-level.
• This position occasionally requires the incumbent to bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• This position requires the ability to transport up to 25 pounds. • Local travel. • Occasional overnight travel
• Keyboarding required in approx. 40% - 60% of daily tasks
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is a leading energy company serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries as of Jan. 1, 2019. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in three states, natural gas distribution companies in four states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America, a leading distributed energy infrastructure company, a fiber optics network and telecommunications services . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices below the national average. For more than a century, we have been building the future of energy and developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, advanced carbon capture technologies, natural gas, renewables, energy efficiency and storage technology. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation and a low-carbon future, Southern Company and its subsidiaries develop the customized energy solutions our customers and communities require to drive growth and prosperity. Our uncompromising values ensure we put the needs of those we serve at the center of everything we do and govern our business to the benefit of our world. Our corporate culture and hiring practices have been recognized nationally by the U.S. Department of Defense, G.I. Jobs magazine, DiversityInc, Black Enterprise, Forbes and the Women's Choice Award. To learn more, visit www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Engineering
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Virginia-Coastal Virginia-Virginia Beach
Operating Company: Virginia Natural Gas
Other Locations: United States
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
VNG Virginia Beach - 544 S. Independence Blvd (544VirginiaBeachCODE)
544 S. Independence Blvd
Virginia Beach, 23452
Req ID: GAS2003476